i'm a computer person
i write code and do stuff on the internet
i grew up in the upper peninsula of michigan, received a bachelor's in computer science from northern michigan university, and now work professionally as a software developer in traverse city, michigan.
i like building software and community through code and sysadmin tools. my current day job involves writing c# for desktop applications. my primary hobby project is tilde.team, a non-commercial public access unix system focused on teaching, learning, and building community.
some fun facts about me:
- i'm left handed
- i love to travel and have lived in ecuador and switzerland
- i tend to avoid uppercase letters if i can help it
what i've been up to
- living in traverse city, mi
- working at hagerty as a software developer
- honing my c# skills
- thinking of cool ideas for tilde.team
probablydefinitely spending too much time on irc???
- running stuff for the tildeverse
- learning about and using xmpp and hosting some xmpp servers.
- got my covid vaccine in april 2021
- bought a house in may 2021
- married my best friend on july 25, 2021
updated july 29, 2021
besides tilde.team, i'm also involved in several other projects, including:
- the tildeverse
- the original tilde, reborn
- volunteer staffer at libera.chat, the irc network for open-source and peer-directed projects.
- some random projects on my tildegit account
- also github but i don't publish everything there
- this site. you can find the source code here.
the best way to get in touch with me is irc (if i'm not around, i'll see
it soon™). i'm
ben on libera.chat and
i'm also on xmpp as firstname.lastname@example.org.
if you don't have an xmpp account, you can register one on my server. it runs on a thinkpad in my living room!
i have too many email addresses (eg
*@bhh.sh), but i
mainly use email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. if you use gpg, make sure to use my tilde.team
address. here's my pubkey.
i'm on twitter and mastodon, but i try not to check them all that much.
i am on bluesky and it's been very fun so far. feeling cautiously optimistic for its future.
if you're curious, here's my resume.